Scaling and Root Planing is a very highly effective treatment to treat mild to moderate gum diseases, primarily when the gum disease has led to the formation of pockets between the teeth and gums. These pockets can be quite dangerous for oral health as they allow for the build-up of plaque, tartar, and bacteria settling between the gums and teeth and ultimately reaching the roots of a tooth. This accumulation can cause the area of the tooth below the gums to be susceptible to decay, infection, and even tooth loss. These portions in the gums can be challenging to clean with a toothbrush. Scaling and root planing must be done in order to remove the debris below the gum line to seal the periodontal pockets.
What is the procedure involved in Scaling and Root Planing?
The process of Scaling and Root Planing is a comparatively simple process. It begins with the numbing of the gums to make the patient comfortable and relaxed during the treatment. Once the gums are numb, a special scraping tool is used to gently remove the hardened tartar and other remains from the teeth, both at and underneath the gum line. The larger debris pieces are removed with the help of an ultrasonic tool, while a metal scraping tool is used to finely detail and clean the teeth. The debris is flushed away using a water irrigation system, and a suction tool is used to take out the water and saliva. In conditions where more oversized pockets have formed, antibiotic fibers may be positioned to check infection while the gums heal and the pockets close. The fibers are removed after about a week.
What are the benefits offered by Scaling and Root Planing treatments?
- Halts Gum Disease:The Scaling and Root Planing procedures are highly beneficial in restoring the gums to a healthy state by effectively treating the gum disease.
- Prevents Tooth Loss: A tooth loss can occur due to the formation of large pockets of infection and decay around the roots of a tooth. A Scaling and Root Planing procedure can help treat these issues before they result in tooth loss.
- Safeguards the tooth’s roots:This treatment can protect the roots of the teeth when the destructive plaque and bacteria begin to accumulate below the gum line.
- Eliminates the bad breath related to gum disease: Tooth decay can cause chronic bad breath due to gum disease and other oral health conditions. Scaling and Root Planing treatments will help improve bad breath by treating gum disease.
- A more attractive smile:Scaling and root planing treatments can make your smile look much more striking. As the superficial stains are removed during the procedure, the unpleasant plaque will also be removed. After a few days, your gums start looking less red and swollen, which are two common indications of gum disease.
Call us at Dental Spa Sanford or schedule an online appointment to know more about Scaling and Root Planing